Thursday, June 23, 2011

Garlic Scape Pesto

In my first CSA delivery I received garlic scapes.  I looked online for what I can use them for and the only thing that kept on coming up was making a pesto.  Other sources say that you can use them in place of garlic, in any dish.  Some pesto recipes said to add the traditional basil and some didn't, I chose to add some in!  I used the pesto over some fish for dinner along side a CSA lettuce salad.  I'm saving the rest of the pesto in the freezer for a night where I get in the mood for some pasta!  Yummy!

So here's the recipe I came up with (based on Dorie Greenspan's recipe and this one from Serious Eats).

Garlic Scape Pesto
(makes about 1 cup)
6 garlic scapes
15-20 basil leaves, about 1/2 cup
1/2 of a lemon, zested and juiced
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

Place all ingredients, except the olive oil in a food processor.  Pulse ingredients until finely chopped. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil and pulse until smooth. Taste pesto and adjust the salt, if needed. Serve on top of fish, chicken, pasta, or eggs! Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...