- 12 ounces challah or other egg bread with crust, torn into 3/4-inch pieces
- 7 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 vanilla bean split down the center with seeds scraped out
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly grated whole nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Warm maple syrup (for serving)
Butter 11x7x2-inch glass baking dish. Place bread in dish. Whisk eggs and next 6 ingredients in medium bowl to blend; pour over bread. Using spatula, lightly press down on bread to moisten completely. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top of bread. Cover with foil and chill overnight.
Place foil-covered dish in cold oven. Set oven at 350°F and bake 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake until pudding is puffed and golden brown, about 35 minutes longer.
Spoon pudding onto plates, sprinkle with toasted nuts, and serve with warm maple syrup. Enjoy!