Friday, January 7, 2011

Poblano Potato Soup

First off I want to wish everyone a healthy and happy new year!!  I am very excited to begin my journey through 2011!  Over the holidays I was away in Aruba relaxing and spending time with my family!  It was a great trip and very needed.  I came back refreshed and ready to get back to blogging.  So here I am...

While I was away I ate at this steakhouse called L.G. Smith's.  On the menu they have this wonderful poblano soup.  I ordered it for an appetizer and when it arrived I was surprised by how good and tasty it was!  I knew it would be very easy to re-create back at home. So for dinner on this snowy cold evening I decided to give it a whirl! I actually did give a whirl, in my new Vitamix blender.  If you are a fan of the Feed Your Sister page on Facebook you'd know that I purchased a Vitamix blender and am falling in love with it!  I've made ice cream, soup, and amazingly smooth smoothies.

Anyway here is a recipe I created for Poblano Potato Soup.  It's creamy without the creaminess.  It's extremely tasty without too much spice.  And it's not what you think a pepper soup would be at all!  So be brave and give it a try, even if you don't love peppers.

Poblano Potato Soup
(makes 4 cups)


2 medium onions, chopped
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 poblano peppers, seeded and roughly chopped (leave some seeds in for extra spice)
2 yukon gold potatoes, peeled and chopped
3 cups water + 1 tablespoon chicken consomme (OR replace with 3 cups vegetable/chicken stock + 1 teaspoon kosher salt)
Pepper to taste


Place chopped onions and olive oil in a pot and saute until onions are soft, about 10 minutes.  Add poblano peppers, potatoes, water or stock, and chicken consomme.  Let soup come to a boil and then reduce heat to medium and let simmer for about 30-40 minutes.  The potatoes should be fork tender and peppers should be soft.  Place contents of soup in two batches into a blender and puree until smooth.   You can also use an immersion blender to blend the soup.

NOTE: If using a Vitamix blender, pour everything into the 64 ounce container and blend on variable 1 and increase to 10, blend until smooth.
Isn't this the most gorgeous color green??

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...