Sunday, February 28, 2010

Chicken Pot Pie

So it seems as though everywhere I turn I am hearing about Chicken Pot Pie. It's been all over the Food Network. Ina's making lobster pot pie, Big Daddy's making Pot Pie Soup, The Neely's are doing it too, even my friend Hilary's mom has been making it....what's all the hype???? So I decided to see for myself what this dish is all about. My version is kosher and made with a puff pastry top. This is going to be my first time making the dish as well as eating it! I'll let you know how it goes...So here's my recipe, Enjoy!




































































Elia's Version of Chicken Pot Pie (makes five 10 oz ramekins)

2 breasts cooked chicken cut into bite-size pieces (I got help from the store and bought rotisserie chicken)
1 cup frozen peas and carrots
1 cup shelled edamame
2 stalks of celery cut thinly
1 large onion roughly chopped
6 tablespoons olive oil
5 tablespoons flour
1 cup roasted and fully cooked potatoes cut into bite-size pieces (I am using fingerling potatoes, but any will do)
2 cups chicken stock and 2 bouillon cubes
2 teaspoons chopped rosemary (for sprinkling on top of pastry)
kosher salt and pepper to taste
1 egg mixed with splash of water (egg wash)
1 sheet thawed frozen puff pastry (I used Pepperidge Farm, it's Pareve!)


1. Roast the potatoes on baking sheet with 3 tablespoons olive oil and salt and pepper.
2. Saute the onions and celery in 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large non-stick skillet until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Add the flour to the pan and stir constantly for about 2 minutes.
3. Slowly add the chicken stock and stir well until thick.
4. At this point stir in the cooked potatoes, peas, edamame, carrots, rosemary, and chicken. Turn off the heat and stir until all components are mixed evenly.
5. Spoon the mixture into ramekins.
6. Measure a circle 1/2 inch larger than the ramekin of puff pastry for the cover. With a pastry brush, brush the egg wash along the rim and sides of the ramekins. Place the puff pastry round on top of the ramekin and pinch to sides. Brush with egg wash and cut a slit into the pastry. Sprinkle with kosher salt and rosemary.
7. Place ramekins on cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes until pastry is golden brown. Let stand for about 5 minutes.
9. ENJOY!!!!


Here's my friend Stacey enjoying my pot pie. Nothing says comfort more than chicken pot pie after a long day of work! I think she liked it....



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...