I've been eating a lot of peanut butter. I eat it with celery, on waffles, on my oatmeal pancakes, on caramel and chocolate rice cakes, and then of course on bread as a PB&J sandwich. Either way it's delicious and good for you, so here's another way to have it, by the bite full!
I got this idea from Picky Palate
PB&J Mini Pies (Makes 12 mini pies)
1 roll Pillsbury pie dough
1/2 Cup creamy peanut butter or almond butter (if you have allergies use your favorite soy butter)
1/2 Cup Strawberry Preserves
1 Tablespoon sugar for sprinkling
1 egg white whisked with 1 teaspoon water for egg wash
2 Tablespoons powdered sugar (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Unroll pie crust onto a lightly floured surface. Use a 2 1/2 inch round cutter to cut out circles in dough (or small cup). Lightly press dough rounds into greased mini muffin tin.
2. Roll remaining scraps of dough to an even thickness then use a sharp knife to cut thin 1/8 inch strips to create the lattice topping. Set aside.
3. With a small cookie scoop or teaspoon (I used my new spring handle ice cream scoop), drop a heaping teaspoon into each of the pie crusts. Do the same with the jam.
4. Using the pie strips, form the lattice top. (THIS IS WHERE IT GOT TRICKY!! I ENDED UP, AS YOU'LL NOTICE THE LATTICE TOP WAS NOT AN EASY TASK. I ENDED UP JUST PUTTING ANOTHER CIRCLE OF DOUGH ON TOP AND CUTTING A VENT SLIT.)
5. Cut excess dough from edges and brush tops lightly with the egg wash, sprinkle with sugar crystals (optional) and bake for 25-30 minutes or until nice and golden brown.
6. Remove and with the tip of a knife, loosen edges from muffin pan. Carefully remove from pan after 5 minutes with the help of the knife and let cool. Dust with powdered sugar and ENJOY!
If you don't fancy peanut butter why not try it with chocolate...after all who doesn't like chocolate!?!?
Try this recipe...Just substitute Nutella for the jelly.
P.S. I figured out the calorie count per mini pie and it's not that bad. About 125 calories for the peanut butter ones, and 140 calories for the Nutella ones.