Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Creamy Potato Leek Soup with NO CREAM

Summer is over and the weather is slowly getting cooler, the sun is going down earlier and earlier everyday and that means that comfort foods are coming back into play on people's plates, or bowls.  I had some leftover leeks from the tart I made last week and thought I'd prepare some potato leek soup to have in the freezer.  You never know when you'll want to cuddle up on the couch with a nice warm cup of soup, don't forget the grilled cheese!

I actually invited my friend Allison over to help me cook.  She helped buy some of the ingredients, I taught her how to make a soup, and we both were able to take home 2 quarts of soup!!  For all you cooks that need to conserve their spending, invite a friend or two over, split the shopping and get cooking!! It's always a good time when you have friends around!

Potato Leek Soup
(makes 16 cups)

3 leeks, white and light-green parts only, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/4 inch thick
2 small onions chopped
1 cup olive oil
3 pounds of yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed clean, ends trimmed, and quartered
NOTE: If you prefer to peel the potatoes go ahead, I just hate peeling them, and found that the skin doesn't make a difference for the end result.
4 quarts water, or enough water to cover the potatoes in the pot
4 tablespoons Chicken flavored Consomme (I use the Osem brand)
salt and pepper to taste
**Requires an immersion blender to puree soup.  You can also substitute the consomme with 3 bouillon cubes.

In a large soup pot saute onions and leeks in olive oil.  Saute until translucent, about 10-15 minutes.
Add potatoes and pour water in the pot, enough to cover all the potatoes.  Mix in the chicken consomme and stir until combined, add salt and pepper to taste.  Boil with the lid on high for about 1 hour, until potatoes or fork tender.  Take soup off the heat and use an immersion hand blender to puree into a smooth velvety soup.  Taste and adjust flavor as needed with salt and pepper or more chicken soup consomme.  Serve with a yummy grilled cheese or salad and ENJOY!

2 comments:

  1. I'm making your butternut squash soup tomorrow! I will definitely try this one in the upcoming weeks. Let you know how it turns out. Thanks for all of your recipes, they make me happy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe was so easy and sooo good. My husband added in some hot sauce, but I loved it the way it was!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...