Thursday, September 30, 2010

Banana Bread

This recipe was adapted from Cooking Light magazine, the October issue.  I changed and added a few things and it came out great and pretty healthy too!  I brought most of the banana bread to my friend's house the other day but I've been eating the other half for breakfast with my morning coffee! It's also a great afternoon snack, if you can contain yourself to eat only 1 slice, that is!!

Cooking Light says that if you the loaf yields 16 slices each one has 167 calories and 29g of protein.  I'm thinking my version is probably around 240 calories (don't quote me on that) and probably has a little more protein because of the Greek yogurt.  I was only able to slice my loaf into 12 slices so my calculations are for a loaf that yields 12 slices instead of 16.
Banana Bread
(makes 1 loaf)

3 mashed ripe bananas
1 container (6-oz) Plain Greek Yogurt
5 tablespoons butter, melted
2 large eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup vanilla flavored protein powder (I used whey protein.)
1/4 flaxseed meal, or whole ground flaxseed
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed.  Add both sugars, beat until combined.
Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl.  Add flour mixture to the banana mixture, beat just until blended.  Pour batter into a greased loaf pan and bake for 55 minutes or until a wooden tester inserted comes out clean.  Remove from oven and let cool completely.

3 comments:

  1. Save me a slice, pleassseeee! I might have to bake this for Adam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. do you use fat free yogurt?
    xoxox nicole

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I used Fat Free Fage Greek yogurt!! any kind of yogurt would work, the original recipe called for sour cream.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...