Thursday, April 14, 2011

Matzah Brei

Passover is here again. Wow time really does fly!  Most people who celebrate Passover aren't very fond of the holiday, I am the complete opposite. Here's a list of things I like to eat on Passover: matzah pizza, love chocolate chip macaroons, my grandma's charoset (which I hated when I was little, go figure), and finally these brownies aren't bad either!  On the flip side, I hate gefilte fish and am really am not fond of my grandma's matzah cake, but I remember loving it when I was little.

Today I am sharing with you the healthy version of another Passover favorite of mine...Matzoh Brei.  I eat it sweet with splenda and maple syrup, usually for breakfast.  No salt. No pepper.  However, I don't mind having prepared in a savory way either! This recipe has a points+ value of 7.  Add 1/4 cup sugar-free syrup and it's a points+ value of 8.
Matzah Brei
(serves 1)
2 boards of Matzah
2 egg whites (large or jumbo are good, otherwise add another egg white)
2-3 packets Splenda (optional)
1 tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract (optional)
1/4 tsp cinnamon (optional)
Non-stick cooking spray

Wet the matzahs by placing under running water until soft, but not too soggy.  Break both pieces of matzah into small pieces using a fork in a small ball.  Add egg whites, splenda, vanilla, and cinnamon.  Mix to combine.  Spray a large non-stick pan with cooking spray and place on medium heat.  Pour matzah batter into the pan and cook about 7-10 minutes.  Enjoy with syrup or powdered sugar!

Notes: 
*If you want your brei like a pancake(see below), shape batter into a circle, or use pan as its shape, cook on one side for about 5 minutes and then flip over to cook on the other side for another 5 minutes until golden brown and cooked through. I would slide the "pancake" onto a clean plate and do a plate flip so that you don't have matzah brei all over your stovetop!
*If you like your brei scrambled, pour batter into pan, and use spatula to stir batter around to make a scramble, about 7 minutes. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...