Friday, April 15, 2011

Grilled Shishito Peppers

I fell in love with these peppers when I dined at Beauty & Essex, on the Lower East Side in NYC. They were delicious and full of flavor.  These peppers are small, mostly mild tasting, but every once in a while you get one that has a bit of spice.  I went looking all over the place trying to find some to buy and had luck at an asian supermarket in Long Island.  Although I'm sure you can locate them closer in Chinatown. Anyway, the supermarket I found them in was calling them "sweet peppers."  They looked the same so I took a chance and got 3 packages!  I know that's a lot, but I literally eat one package per sitting.  It's like popcorn for me!  They are simple to prepare, here's the recipe!
Grilled Shishito Peppers
(serves 1-2)
1 pound shishito peppers
1 teaspoons olive oil (OR you can use non-stick cooking spray instead to save on calories!)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 lemon, juiced

Heat a grill pan (or a real BBQ) over medium-high heat.  Place peppers in a bowl and drizzle with olive oil, toss to coat evenly.  Place peppers on the grill pan and let cook for about 4 minutes. Use tongs to continuously flip and stir peppers to get charred evenly, about every 4 minutes.  Once the peppers are charred evenly place in a serving bowl and sprinkle with salt and lemon juice.  ENJOY!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...