Monday, May 31, 2010

Quinoa, Take 2

NOTE: This photo is of the salad minus the mixed greens! Now you have a visual!
So I was invited to my friend's house for a BBQ and of course I offered to make something to bring. She said make a salad. Lately I've been eating a lot of quinoa and actually looking for it more and more on menus. I haven't had much luck finding many restaurants that serve quinoa. Oh well, I was going to make a salad that contained quinoa for the BBQ. I went with a Greek themed salad. I bought red inca quinoa at the supermarket for the salad. Now, not sure if you remember that last time I made quinoa, but if you click here, you'll remind yourself that it wasn't a big hit. I finally can say that I think I just overcooked it, if that's even possible.
I totally forgot to take a photo of this recipe, but I swear I made the salad and literally there was not a leaf left in the bowl! Everyone enjoyed it very much and my views of quinoa have changed forever. I can't wait to make this salad again!
Here's the list of ingredients you'll need to make this easy, healthy, protein-packed, light summery, and perfect-for-a-bbq salad!
Greek Style Quinoa Salad (serves 8 people)
1 cup uncooked red inca quinoa (if you prefer white quinoa that's fine too!)
1 container of mixed greens
1 red bell pepper
1 container of grape tomatoes cut in halves or quarters
1 english cucumber peeled and chopped
1 can chickpeas rinsed and drained
1 bunch parsley chopped
1 block of your favorite feta (I used Israeli feta)
Greek Dressing
the juice of 1 and a half lemons
3/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano (optional)
1. In a pot bring 2 cups of water and 1 cup of the quinoa to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and then cover and cook for about 15-20 minutes. Pour cooked quinoa in a sieve and then rinse quinoa with cold water to cool off. Drain and set aside.
2. Place the mixed greens into a large salad bowl. Cut the vegetables to your desired size and place in the salad bowl. Place chickpeas in the bowl as well.
3. Place cooked quinoa and parsley in the salad bowl. Break up the feta with clean hands and place in the salad.
4. To make the dressing combine ingredients and pour over salad. Toss to combine ingredients and enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...